Happy Spring! Warmer weather has finally arrived in Chicago for the most part and we are loving the sunny days we’re so lucky to have. Sure, there’s some rain and cold here and there but consistent warm weather is so close you can just about taste it. Now that the warmer weather is here, we should all be getting outside every chance we can. Fresh air is so good for you and getting active outdoors makes it much more enjoyable. To celebrate spring and encourage you to get outside, we’ve put together a few tips on how you can be more active outdoors.
1. Take the pooch for a walk. I’m sure Fluffy is just as sick of being inside as you are and can use some exercise. Try and get outside for at least ten or fifteen minutes each day by taking your pup for a walk. Not only will you be getting some exercise in, you’ll reboot your brain and body to increase productivity for the rest of the day. Don’t have a dog? Keep reading. There are plenty of ways for you to get outside.
2. Take a trip to the farmer’s market. April welcomes the opening of farmer’s markets in many towns and cities. Go alone for some time to yourself or get a friend or two for a nice outing. Not only is this a great way to get outside, it’s encouraging you to eat healthier. Produce is never more flavorful than when it’s in-season. Take this opportunity to get outside, walk around and buy fruits and veggies that you may not have reached for walking around the supermarket. It’s also a great opportunity to support local farmers and artisans.
3. Go for a bike ride. The air might still have a chill but it’s nothing a pair of sweatpants and a sweatshirt can’t handle. Instead of bingeing on Netflix this weekend, get out the old bike, fill up those tires and take a ride on a nature path. Don’t have a nature path? Take a ride through the neighborhood or through town. The scenery will do both your mind and body good.
4. Take an outdoor workout class. Lots of gyms and studios offer outdoor yoga classes when it gets warmer outside. See if your local gym or any local studios in your area are offering morning yoga in the park. Not only is this a great exercise for your body, but the serenity of nature in the morning will clear your mind for a productive and low-stress day.
5. Take meals outside. Since spring has just started, the bugs are still in hiding. Use this time to dine outdoors bug-free. Take your lunch outside. There are studies that show getting outside for a little bit each day reduces stress and increases productivity. Take your salad or sandwich to the bench outside instead of eating at your desk. Working lunches are not good for you anyway. Break one bad habit and create a good one.
Getting outside isn’t just for personal pleasure. There are studies that have shown getting outside every day reduces stress, improves mental health and might even have anti-cancer effects. Check out this article from Business Insider to learn about more positive effects from getting outside.